Quotes

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is BEAUTIFUL!!!" - Sophia Loren

"Come what may, and love it. I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it. As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial." - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

"Happiness does not depend upon what happens outside of you, but on what happens inside of you. It is measured by the spirit with which you meet the problems of life." -Spencer W. Kimball

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Unknown

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

New York City!!!

New York was so much fun. It was nice to take some time off from work and do something fun for me. Especially after the stressful few weeks I had with stuff at work and moving.

Monday
I got into the city around 6:15 am (I took a red eye flight that left SLC at midnight). Let's just say that I was totally exhausted from lack of sleep and having worked both Saturday and Sunday. Not fun. I got lost getting from the airport to the hotel. I had no idea where I was and had to wait for Jacob and Nicole to come rescue me when they got into town. It was at that moment that I decided that I never want to travel alone again because I was so scared out of mind and I just wanted to break down and cry. 

Because we couldn't check into our hotel until the afternoon we went straight into the city. We had some good ol' PB&J and then went to the American Museum of Natural History. I've always wanted to go there. Mostly because I've read books that take place there or around there (aka Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief). 




We also went to Dylan's Candy Bar (a candy store, yumm!) and Serendipity 3 (resturant). Where we got the most AMAZING frozen hot chocolate. It was expensive but so yummy. I want one right now. 



Is that a chocolate frog you ask? Yes it is. Harry Potter for life!!

Tuesday
This was one of my favorite days. We went to Times Square and took in the sights. We went to Rockefeller Plaza and went to the top of the rock observation deck. So cool to see all of the sight from so high up!! We also went to Grand Central Station (so gorgeous!), the M&M Store and Hershey Store. We had dinner at John's Pizzeria. The pizza was amazing but the service was seriously lacking. Probably because we weren't drinking. 









Wednesday
We went to the 9/11 Memorial site, a few cathedrals and churches, went to China Town, and Madam Tussaud's (wax museum). 









Thursday
Another one of my favorite days, we took a ferry out and so the Statute of Liberty and went under the Brooklyn Bridge. Ellis Island was closed due to flooding from Hurricane Sandy so we weren't able to go there. But it was really cool to hear about some of the history that goes along with that part of the country. I got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, how cool is that? And again we had some AWESOME pizza. Grimaldi's (right under the Brooklyn Bridge) was much better than John's Pizzeria. Service was about the same though. 






Friday
We spent the day in Central Park. It was gorgeous!! By this time I was so exhausted from how much walking we'd done all week plus I started getting a cold (Lame!) but it was so fun. 





Saturday
Well, all good things must come to an end. I took a bus into the city (by myself!). That was a little scary. Jacob and Nicole started their drive home. I went to the Manhattan Temple (so cool!!) before heading to the airport. The city is so loud and busy but the minute you step inside the temple everything is super quite. It's kinda of amazing. I almost got lost in the subway. But a nice man gave me directions because I looked slightly lost. But I made it to the airport without dying so I'm counting that as a win. 

It was an awesome experience and it's something that I will always have fond memories of. I'm so glad that I was able to take that kind of trip with some of the people that I am closest to and that mean the most to me. It was good to do something for me and get away. Coming back to Utah, I was so stoked to get back to work and normal life. It kinda of was my kick start to my new philosophy: do something for yourself each and every day even if it's something small. 

PS Sorry for the picture overload, haha. Hope everyone enjoys it :-) 

2 comments:

Amy Marie said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! You saw it all! NYC is a blast, I'm glad you got to go and with people you love. Great start to summer!

Stephanie Layton said...

That looks so awesome!! I need to go back and see more things! I only went once and had one day, so I didn't see everything. Especially the wax museum!! That looks super awesome.